Cheated by a cabbie?
Then complain to the Regional Transport Office (RTO). Today’s Mumbai Mirror has this story from a citizen who fought back. The Mirror lalso gives some advice.
What to do if you are overcharged, or cheated
• Always note the number of the taxi.
• Write a letter to the concerned RTO. If the vehicle number starts with MH01, it is of Tardeo RTO, MH02 is Andheri, MH03 is Wadala.
• The letter is forwarded to the Prosecution Branch, which issues a notice to the owner of the vehicle.
• The driver is identified.
• Hearings are conducted. Based on the severity of the offence, the driver’s licence can be cancelled or the owner’s permit can be revoked or both.
• The procedure is lengthy and can take up to a month.